Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A New Direction

While in Mexico, I had time to read some creative blogging and journaling books, talk with my sisters and reflect on my blog. I started this blog in May of 2006. Sophie was my only baby. Seeing what other creative women are doing now with their own blogs, inspired me to try and take the plunge and make my blog, not only a "mommy blog", but also a place in which I can be creative and perhaps even a little more honest about myself and my thoughts.

In hoping to spur on this change of blogging, I have decided to change the title of my blog to Vignettes. I choose the title Vignettes, perhaps, because as a photographer this word kept popping to mind of what I was trying to create or express with each post. I googled Vignettes and found these definitions:

-sketch: a brief literary description

- photograph whose edges shade off gradually

-a small illustrative sketch (as sometimes placed at the beginning of chapters in books)

-In theater script and poetry writing, vignettes are short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a trenchant impression about a character, an idea, or a setting.

-Sketch comedy consists of a series of short comedy scenes or vignettes, called "sketches," commonly between one and ten minutes long. Such sketches are performed by a group of comedic actors, either on stage or through an audio and/or visual medium such as broadcasting.

-a small illustration in a book not enclosed in a definite border.

-Fade to white or a small decorative design or illustration. A photo or illustration in which the tones fade gradually away until they blend with the surface they are printed on.


So for now, I hope to blog more authentic vignettes of my life, my childrens and my family, as well as use this virtual blog space as a way for me to be creative and grow as a person. Whatever that means!?!

Below is one of my favorite photographs (taken with my not so sharp iphone) on the plane to Mexico. A not so perfect photograph, yet, I love the process of creating this vignette and then sharing it on my blog. I love how Annie is looking up at her Aunt Brittany and cuddled so perfectly in her lap.



It's photos, like this one, in which I wish Annie would stay small and perfect and lap size forever, or at least for a good while longer. The great thing about blogging, small vignettes from my day like this one, is that I can share them with others and then I have them to look back on down the road.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

I love the new background!

Megan said...

It's festive and tropical at the same time! Thanks.