Saturday, November 14, 2009

Missed flight


Sophie, Luca and Sergio were suppose to come home this afternoon, but didn't make it. Immigration officials in Costa Rica wouldn't let Sophie leave the country without a Costa Rican parent permission form. She has dual citizenship, while Luca does not. (Second child, we aren't on top of it!) It's strange because Sophie enter Costa Rica under her US citizenship, but then they wanted her to exit as a Costa Rican national. Ugh. Poor Sergio had got up at 4 am, was at the airport with Sophie crying and Luca yelling airplane, airplane. As they left the airport, the plane took off.

Unfortunately, the national offices where Sergio now needs to run around and get all the necessary paperwork are all closed until Monday. Getting this permission is going to be a huge headache because Sergio has to get a certified copy of Sophie's nationalization form and then take this and get the form approved.

I guess this official parent permission paper is new in the last six months. Costa Rica is cracking down on child-trafficing. I never knew it was such a problem until today.

I miss those guys and hope they can make it home as soon as possible.

Send good thoughts to Sergio. Fortunately, he has his parents home to stay in and they are there to help him with the kids.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Bummer! I'm definitely sending Sergio a "Dad of the Year" award after this one!

leah said...

Oh my! It is good that the Costa Rican government is cracking down on child trafficking, but they should have let everyone know about the changes BEFORE you entered the country. I hope Sergio gets all the paperwork on Monday- I'm sure you miss everyone!