Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Luca won't put his aides back on...

Last Thursday night, Luca took off his aides and has refused to put them back on. When I get them out, he says ouchie and won't let me near him. My husband, Sergio, looked in his ear and no ear infection but he does have a lot of wax, to the point it's compacted. Since Sunday, we've been spraying peroxide in his ears to clear out the wax and my husband says this can take a few days. Luca is feeling better, still running nose, but it's driving me crazy he doesn't want his aides on. I can't even get them on at all to see if he'll leave them on a little bit. Tomorrow I'm going to have Sergio look in his ears and hopefully the wax has cleared.

Has anyone else had this problem? What if Luca just thinks they hurt, but really they don't any more?

4 comments:

MB said...

We've had to make 2 visits to the ENT to have wax removed when peroxide and glycerin didn't cut it. The first time it took 3 adults to hold down a 14 month old so they could scoop it out (ew!). The second time she was much older and much better behaved.

Megan said...

We got the wax out with the peroxide, now it's just getting the aides back on. We wore them a little bit today, but boy, was it a struggle!

leah said...

We went through this recently, too. Nolan had wax and wouldn't wear his aids. It took a week or so after the wax was removed to get them on him again. He's still very bad about wearing them, though, and pulls them out constantly (time for another hearing test, I think)!

Megan said...

I was about to have a break down thinking of being 8 months pregnant and fighting Luca to have his aides on. I'm so glad he's wearing his aides w/o problem. Today, Luca heard the coffee maker go off, which is tiny little peep.

We go to the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind and they charge only the cost of the molds $65. Then in May, we get Luca tested again.

We've turned a corner! Luca now loves wearing his aides! Don't get me wrong, they still come off when he's upset, but a lot less. In the morning he wants them on and at night, too to read stories. YEAH! We are getting fitted for new molds next Monday.

I'm going through my before-baby-comes-checklist. Hair cuts last Monday, new molds and hearing test in early May...