Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sleeping

Some say once you are parents, you will never have a good nights sleep again. When I heard this quote, I think by Marcia Davenport, it rang true with me. When your kids are little, especially in the beginning, you are up nursing every couple of hours. Then, as they get bigger, they sleep a little longer. Saturday and Sunday mornings start when the first one wakes up and wants cereal.

Last night, little 5 month old Luca slept through the night, but Sophie found her way into our bed around 4am. I was too tired and warm to get up and take her back to bed. Usually, when she wakes up, it takes several times to get her settled down again. So Sophie cuddled in between Sergio and I and asked me if we could cuddle and if she could rub my back. She did a lot of other talking, but I was trying hard not to encourage in a 4am conversation and so Sophie and I both feel asleep again sometime between 4 and 5am.

At 5:50am, Sergio brought in Luca, diaper changed and ready to nurse. He picked up Sophie, put her back to bed and headed for the gym.

Now it's 6:30am, I'm having my morning coffee with Luca and Sophie is still sleeping, lucky little one. I am thinking about how once you are a parent, you never really have a good night sleep. At this moment in my life, I'm up with little ones and if they are sleeping, I am thinking about how long they will sleep and will I hear them right away when they wake up and need me. As they get older, I can imagine you don't sleep as well because you are worried when your kids are out and hope they are safe.

Well, I guess that's the price of parenthood.